Sunday, April 1, 2012

Will I be able to obtain a work visa for Hong Kong


Will I be able to obtain a work visa for Hong Kong?
I am a 22 year old male from New Zealand where I am a citizen; when I get to Hong Kong I should also have a UK passport. I have a Bachelors Degree in Technology and this November I will complete a CELTA qualification ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CELTA ). Will These qualifications be enough for me to obtain a work visa in Hong Kong? I have no experience in teaching English however I am very good with people and I am a native English speaker. I will arrive in Hong Kong in mid to late December. If I can get a visa, how long do you think it will take? How long will it take me to find a job? Should I apply for jobs before applying for my visa? I know none of these questions can be answered definitely, but I would like to get the best idea I can of what to expect with respect to my situation, qualifications and experience level. I have read some info on the Hong Kong immigration website and I have read this http://gohongkong.about.com/od/businessbasics/a/work_visa_HK.htm article. The job type I will be applying for is English teacher/tutor. Please please, please provide reasons for your answers as I may use this information to help me decide if I should teach somewhere else in southeast asia to get some experience, before going to Hong Kong. Hong Kong is by far my first choise at the moment for a number for reasons.
Immigration - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It depends on the Job. You should be able too
2 :
you will be able to find work in Hong Kong very easily but once you have the job it will take around 8 weeks for the work permit to come through. You cannot apply for the visa the employer must do this so you must bring enough money to survive a few months before you get your first salary. Wherever you go in S.E. Asia you will find the same requirements unless you work for a ''shady'' employer