Saturday, April 7, 2012

I am a U.S. Citizen working in Hong Kong for 2yrs. Is there an Expat Tax Refund


I am a U.S. Citizen working in Hong Kong for 2yrs. Is there an Expat Tax Refund?
I am not sure of the Tax Law name, but I believe all US citizens working out of the country do not have to pay federal income tax up to $75,000 of a persons salary. Is this true?
United States - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
no from my understanding you must file a return you are still a citizen example: father in law lives in AU, works in AU and he must file a federal return
2 :
The foreign earned income exclusion is an "election"--if you don't file, you haven't elected it. If your wage income is more than $8750, you have a filing requirement. If you are self-employed, the trigger is a mere $400--and isn't reduced by either form 2555 (foreign earned income) or 1116 (foreign tax credit).