Thursday, October 21, 2010

I plan to work in Hong Kong and I am a US permenant resident (not citizen), should I pay tax to the US


I plan to work in Hong Kong and I am a US permenant resident (not citizen), should I pay tax to the US?
Hi, I plan to work in Hong Kong for a few years and wonder if I still need to pay tax to the US as a permanent resident. For example, the greatest benefit of working in HK is its low rate of income tax. Should I pay additional tax to US government even though I am not a US Citizen and don't reside in the US for a few years? Yes, I wan to come back to the states in a few years for sure so I want to keep my green card. Thanks for your information.
United States - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
All US citizens and permanent residents are to report their worldwide income. To alleviate possible double taxation, you would be able to exclude up to $91,400 (2009 rate) if you meet all of the qualifications, plus housing, as well as foreign tax credit for taxes paid to HK gov't. Check out IRS Publication 593: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p593/ar01.html
2 :
Green card = worldwide taxation. My advice is lose it